• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Compiling Speed figures.

P Paceman hand timing the start of NH is, as you say, often problematic as it can be difficult to judge when the first runner passes the starter - which is also how the RP told me their own timing people were supposed to do it. (It was evident at the time I was asking them about this that at least one of their people was doing it rather differently). Timing from video can be hard, as it is often impossible to see both sides of the track ( a bit like the finish line TV shots, the line often is rather a diagonal as the camera is offset from the line, and it's not unusual for the TV cameras to zoom in to the extent that neither rail is visible at the critical moment and you have to estimate the point the starter is being passed.

The problem with Timeform is that whilst they might be correcting the time for their ratings, the time they post on their website results page can be quite adrift and doesn't seem to be corrected with any great haste. There is no doubt that sometimes they are right and others wrong, I've also found times where HRB is right while RP and Timeform are wrong, hence the need to check all three against each other to flag up the races you need to double check for yourself.

It's easy to become quite critical of the inability to provide accurate timings, it is important to understand the limitations inherent in anybody's ability to be accurate - the technology isn't in place over the jumps, yet, to be as accurate as the they usually are on the flat )which has been much improved this past season compared to previously), but all data providers are rather let down by typos..... when a 2m chase is reported as taking over 5 minutes to run somebody ought to be saying 'hang on, that doesn't look right' before the page is published.

Ribble Valley made it look very easy, it was pretty impressive and it'll be interesting to see what he gets stepped up to from here.
Dave

Point taken about the delay in correcting the times straight after the race but they will nearly always (unless the process goes astray) be corrected the day after.

@ Thebluesbrother

I noticed that for the weight, I didn’t take the weight in discharge hence my mistakes.
as far as OR is concerned, I have trouble understanding how to use the RPR table

tapie93 tapie93

When dealing with French racing I use the Racing Post Ratings and then convert them to OR's where available, this is an advanced method that only I use.

We Go was given a RPR of 98, using my conversion table for a 3yo RPR 98 = OR 88.

Deauville2.png

Mike.

Attachments

• RPR CONV.xls
    42 KB · Views: 13
@ Thebluesbrother

I understood the operation that you explained to me, but how to do if I have to take the site of geny.com for the French hippodrome?
is it necessary to take Racing Post?

Last edited:
tapie93 tapie93

No, it is not necessary to use the RPR, you have to use what is available to you.
I used the analysis of the winning times table as an example that is only available in the member's section on the Racing Post website.

@ Thebluesbrother

Okay thanks for the info so if I want good numbers, I have to use the website racing post.
however, there won’t be all the French racetracks? Does that have a drawback?

@ Thebluesbrother

it seems to me that the site racing post does not display all the French races , example the bordeaux 25/11/19 bouscat, so if I take on the site of geny.com, I wouldn’t have the famous RPR notes? Can I replace with the handicap value*2.2?

Deja Vue's 40 length romp at Ffos Las certainly caught the eye on the clock, why would any jockey win by that margin, to me it is nothing more than a serious case of brain farts

DEJA VUE, backed into 1-5f on track, came effortlessly clear to open her account over hurdles at the third attempt. Never headed, she looked in control throughout and proved in a different league to her modest rivals. She's going the right way, though will find things more difficult in handicaps from now on.

Yesterday's top NH speed figures:
281119Table.png

281119.png

Mike.

Last edited:
TheBluesBrother TheBluesBrother

in yesterday’s meeting in Chelmsford you found STD/FAST with going/allowance of 0.32s/f knowing that in the list it is between
+0.18s/f to +0.40s/f, so I wonder how you choose this value, is there a calculation to do with the OR values?

in yesterday’s meeting in Chelmsford you found STD/FAST with going/allowance of 0.32s/f knowing that in the list it is between+0.18s/f to +0.40s/f, so I wonder how you choose this value, is there a calculation to do with the OR values?

I use a different set of variables when assessing going allowances, I will not explain them to you as they are unique to me and a bit too advanced to start explaining when the different variables should be applied.
While working on the going allowance for yesterday's meeting at Chelmsford I had the basic going allowance at +0.28s/f, after the assessment of the speed figures I added another 5lbs to the going allowance making it +0.32s/f.

Mike.

tapie93 tapie93

I noticed that the RP has updated their standard times for the AW at Deauville, using their new updated standard times and using my RPR conversion figures I looked at yesterday's Deauville card.

The best performance on the card was J-C Rouget 2yo Ayaad earning a speed figure of 72.

Deauvile3.png
Deauvile2.png
Deauvile.png

Mike.

Last edited:
Back