• Hi Guest, The forum will be moving hosts on 26 July and as such will be closed from Midday until the move has completed.
    As we will be with new hosts it may take a while before DNS get updated so it could take while before you can get back on the forum.
    I think it will take at least 4 hours but could easily be 48!
    Ark Royal
  • There seems to be a problem with some alerts not being emailed to members. I have told the hosts and they are investigating.
  • Sorry for the ongoing issues that you may have been experiencing whilst using the forum lately

It really is frustrating when the forum slows down or Server Error 500 pops up.

Apparently the hosts acknowledge there is a problem.
    Thank you for using our services and sorry for the experienced delay!
    Unfortunately, these errors are due to a higher server load. Our senior department knows about the issue and they are working towards a permanent resolution of the issue, however, I'd advise you to consider using our new cPanel cloud solutions: https://www.tsohost.com/web-hosting

I will have to investigate what the differences are with what We have know compared to the alternative service they want us to migrate to.
    Keep safe.
    AR

Compiling Speed figures.

davejb

Mare
O Outlander I've been trying to figure out how to tackle standards, and to be honest I'm finding the data side of things an issue - whilst I have the HRB information and rail moves etc (actual yards run equals the yards column from the data plus the rail moves, so far so good) and I've a rough idea of how I can extract what I want from it all, it struck me that rather a lot of courses have multiple tracks that have different RP standards despite being nominally the same distance - for example Haydock today ran over the inner course, but there is an outer track with the same alleged race distances but different standards, no doubt they have slightly different yardage. Then again you get the odd track with a straight and a round course mile, again you need different standards for the two.

Anyhow, simply put (at last) do you separate the data out when doing your own standards, splitting into inner/outer (or whatever), do you find the total yardage is enough to distinguish one from the other, have you painstakingly worked through endless data sorting it all manually, or are you avoiding such tracks hoping for inspiration? :)

I know I can rework one of my scrapers to collect the info from the RP cards, and could then allocate each inner or outer track to the correct 'bin' of data when compiling it all, but my heart kind of quails at the idea of having to go back and scrape several years of results pages, one by one.

Dave

O Outlander I've been trying to figure out how to tackle standards, and to be honest I'm finding the data side of things an issue - whilst I have the HRB information and rail moves etc (actual yards run equals the yards column from the data plus the rail moves, so far so good) and I've a rough idea of how I can extract what I want from it all, it struck me that rather a lot of courses have multiple tracks that have different RP standards despite being nominally the same distance - for example Haydock today ran over the inner course, but there is an outer track with the same alleged race distances but different standards, no doubt they have slightly different yardage. Then again you get the odd track with a straight and a round course mile, again you need different standards for the two.

Anyhow, simply put (at last) do you separate the data out when doing your own standards, splitting into inner/outer (or whatever), do you find the total yardage is enough to distinguish one from the other, have you painstakingly worked through endless data sorting it all manually, or are you avoiding such tracks hoping for inspiration? :)

I know I can rework one of my scrapers to collect the info from the RP cards, and could then allocate each inner or outer track to the correct 'bin' of data when compiling it all, but my heart kind of quails at the idea of having to go back and scrape several years of results pages, one by one.

Dave
I have separated all the tracks, i have sheets for each different course, on the flat I have 2 for Haydock and 2 for Nottingham inner and outer and keep everything separate, track that have different courses for the same distances such as Curragh and Newbury 1m , I distinguish between the 2, also tracks like Cork used to have round 7f and now have a 7f straight track, everything is accounted for separately.
Tomorrow when at my PC I’m very happy to send you the data I have for inner and outer tracks if you need it and don’t already have it separated. On the flat I always bring the times back to the default distances and have minimal standards that I have special sheet to calculate, it first calculates a class rating like a par and then compares speed ratings to those class pars both on the 3rd quartile then adjusts the standard times to bring them together. It’s complicated and at least my 5th attempt but I believe I’ve near as damn it got standards as accurate as possible. The jumps again I separate obvious course like Cheltenham old and new, and Aintree mildmay and grand national courses and the X country in Cheltenham and Punchestown, but there are a lot now course that have inner and outer lines over hurdles and I don’t bother separating them , I just don’t think it’s worth what would be a monumental effort, if it’s an inner or outer line it will still have the same undulations and if the distance is right the standard will be right.
I don’t want to post 4 years of HRB data on an open forum but if you would like me to send you the data I have split for the inner /outer, round /straight course issue, PM me your email address and I will send you the sorted data.

O Outlander

My biggest fear and nightmare, Tramore (IRE) today is running a mixed card, how on earth is anybody supposed to compile speed figures for this racecourse.

Mike.
I have very accurate standards for Tramore flat and jumps !!!
Will post them up later today
The last race is the only flat race and is like one of those novelty charity races for ladies with National Hunt weights , it's more a NH Flat race than a flat race, basically I think would be best served to ignore it for speed rating purposes or rate it as a NHF race because I'm sure they run it on the hurdles course and then deduct 35lb ish, probably the only way you could get an accurate judgement on the speed of the race

I have very accurate standards for Tramore flat and jumps !!!
About a week ago In the Inner Sanctum Blog I referred to your standard times as bringing a new dimension to the game, they have totally transformed my Irish speed figures and I feel that I am now playing in the premier league, with the rissoles at the RP still playing in the Vauxhall Conference.

Mike.

Last edited:

davejb

Mare
That's very kind of you O Outlander
If you look in the blog you'll see my master plan for acquiring data, which would cost a few few quid, so I'd be more than happy to see your HRB stuff first! I have HRB results for several years, it's the splitting out of the 'same distance/different standards' stuff that I've been banging my head against, so it would be very helpful to see your version.
Dave

Cashelman

Yearling
My ratings for today's two big races the Acomb and the International , Ghaiyyath is a standout in the latter and in the Acomb at the prices I'm going for Praise of Shadows who I think will have learnt more around the turns of Chester than the favourite did at Leicester on their debuts

Cloudbridge (USA)73
Praise Of Shadows (IRE)73
Royal Scimitar (IRE)70
Darvel (IRE)67
Titan Rock63
Gear Up (IRE)60
Broxi (IRE)58
Spycatcher (IRE)50
Ghaiyyath (IRE)116
Magical (IRE)101
Kameko (USA)100
Rose Of Kildare (IRE)89
Lord North (IRE)86

Larry

Mare
Cashelman Cashelman I agree regarding Praise of Shadows not for the exact same reasons though, the turns of Chester makes it difficult for a horse to reach top speed so a good SF there for me is better than some other courses, I also think a step up in trip for PoS will also help improve the horse, also I believe Cloudbridge could do with a mile instead of going for 7f again, that I'm afraid is my tuppenceworth but I'm afraid I'm wrong a lot more often than I'm right

Going Descriptions on HRB

Whist looking at the going descriptions in HRB, i have noticed the following descriptions appearing:

• Yielding
  • Yielding To Soft
I was under the impression that Yielding was equivalent to the description Good to Soft used in UK Racing?

So what does the description Yielding To Soft compare to? Soft going?

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Cheers
Giuseppe

Cashelman

Yearling
Morning all do any of our experts have standard times they’d be willing to share for Punchestown for the flat meeting there on Thursday

TIA

Cashelman

Yearling
Cheers Mike I thought as much it was a shock to see them racing on the flat there a bit like flat racing at Cheltenham

davejb

Mare
Bit of a delay, my PC fried itself last night and this afternoon I realised I'd backed up my standard time programming onto the external drive but not the data files I've been editing for some while. Rather annoyingly I'll have to wait for the PC to be repaired before I can continue to do the flat standards, which only needed a bit more editing ('bucketting' the annoying array of Irish track distances) before I could attempt to produce them - I had got as far as Sligo so wasn't far off finishing. Now no doubt it'll be at least a couple of weeks getting my kit back.

Dave

Aliantora

Been quiet on here lately, everyone well? are we all just waiting for the start of the jumps season proper? :party:
i've found with my flat ratings that the ones i did in june held up well in july, but since then have become less reliable, whether it was just beginners luck or what i'm not sure. one thought i had was that at the start of summer the going at most courses was good, once the weather changed and a bit of rain got involved some horses just haven't been able to reproduce the good going form on softer ground

Nellsman

Colt
Hi TheBluesBrother TheBluesBrother, I am having real problems with the RP website. My ratings are taking forever to load up and it's getting beyond a joke now it's
taking forever to load up my ratings and my notes. I recall that you had similar problems some time past. Did you finally get your problem solved? If you did could you possibly advise me if I can do anything to alleviate the problem.
The guy's at RP only advise to clean out the cache. they tell me that no one else is having these problems, therefore as far as their concerned the problem is local. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Nellsman

I am having real problems with the RP website. My ratings are taking forever to load up
Having the same problem, the lag today was very bad, clicking on the save button was slow to load.
Tried a different browser to see if that made any difference, it didn't, clearing out the cookies and cache files does make a slight difference but not much.

Mike..

Nellsman

Colt
Thanks TheBluesBrother TheBluesBrother, I was really dismayed with the wait times, today especially. They (RP) really need to get things sorted out, it's ridiculous that paying customers are having to put up with such slow responses. I was beginning to think that there were serious problems with my service provider. RP will never admit that their site is slow.

Thank's again Mike, much obliged
Nellsman.

Last edited:
Hi TheBluesBrother TheBluesBrother, I am having real problems with the RP website. My ratings are taking forever to load up and it's getting beyond a joke now it's
taking forever to load up my ratings and my notes. I recall that you had similar problems some time past. Did you finally get your problem solved? If you did could you possibly advise me if I can do anything to alleviate the problem.
The guy's at RP only advise to clean out the cache. they tell me that no one else is having these problems, therefore as far as their concerned the problem is local. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Nellsman
Hi Nellsman Nellsman
When you get the standard response of clear your cache, reboot your router etc, it’s usually someone trying to fob you off and try to convince you the issue is at your end.

You can test your internet connection speeds on a variety of speedtest websites.

To me, it sounds like the issue is with the Racing Post web hosting servers. But they probably won’t admit it.

Regards
Giuseppe