• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a 20% discount on Inform Racing.
    Simply enter the coupon code ukbettingform when subscribing here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Inform Racing so help is always available if needed.
    Best Wishes
    AR
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Bet365 account restrictions

Matt Gibbs

Hi all. New here looking for a little advice.

To give a bit of background, I have been regularly betting for years at local Ladbrokes branches to make various football matches more interesting, as I'm sure most started out in a similar fashion.

About a year ago I decided to move online and Bet365 shortly became a favourite of mine. However my betting strategy changed. Instead of looking to make a big return from small stake I found myself looking for bankers to which would almost garuntee a return.

Fast forward to today and while my strategy has worked for the most part (I probably get about an 85% success rate, but I'm only betting a percentage of my pot at a time to avoid going broke), my pot has now grown to £7.5k. I started at £50 and as you can imagine this has taken some time.

My question is this. I have read recently about accounts being restricted by various Bookies. I was wondering if anyone has any insight into what usually sets their alarm bells ringing, and what I could do to avoid my account from getting restricted, while simultaneously keeping my pot increase going.

Hi Matt Gibbs Matt Gibbs AFAIK bookmakers usually restrict you if:

• You regularly beat the SP by 15-20% or more (varies by bookie I think)
  • You're making enough off them to be considered a business liability at the trader's discretion
  • You're unlucky and get caught up in one of their newfangled, BS algorithms that thinks anyone who beats the SP a couple of times after 3 bets is Bill Benter (more for horse racing than football)
  • You look like you're using arbitrage
I made a reasonable amount from Bet365 for a bit even though I was beating the SP by a lot on the horses although I had done quite a lot of small stakes mug bets previously which had lost me a small amount so I think that probably helped.

In your case you should be OK for a while as they tend to be more relaxed about football, and I'd imagine that the shorter prices/tighter margins you bet at will probably mean you'll be OK unless you make a lot off them. In terms of avoidance strategies there are a few options although they'll only really be delaying actions unfortunately:

• Stakes under £25 or so (I'm guessing this probably isn't an option)
  • Occasional mug bets to throw them off (usually a bad idea as betting is difficult enough without wasting money deliberately!)
  • Using accounts of family members, friends etc-probably won't work as they'll still work out that the betting pattern is the same and link through IP addresses etc anyway
  • VPNs, bet brokers etc-not something I know a lot about tbh but if your operation is large enough might be worth a look :idk:
  • Spreading stakes across different accounts
  • Not withdrawing if you can help it; if the money's still in your account then in their mind you could lose it yet!
Do you bet in play? That would probably help as bookmakers actively encourage people to do it and it's almost impossible for them to know at the time you strike the bet if you're getting value prices or not, as there's no closing line to compare an early price to (as long as your model works long term in those scenarios that is)

Forgot to mention making a losing bet deliberately and laying it off on Betfair, if you've got a Betfair account-some people recommend doing that every once in a while.

Thanks for the pointers guys, and sorry for the delayed reply. I've been rather busy with work the past few days.

I must admit in the grander scheme of online betting I am very, very green. Especially when it comes to slang/terminogies. I'll be honest, and as newb as tbis may sound, I don't really know what laying a bet means, nor how do to do so. My experience has baasically came from trial and error, learning what works, what doesn't work, odds etc. Before I developed my strategy, I lost a good couple of a hundred just learning and developing.

The thought of putting a shot in the dark £10 bet on once a week had crossed my mind. Perhaps something along the lines of a 10 fold accumulator or correct score prediction. Something with a higher probability of losing, but with a good return if all the stars were to align for me lol.

Yes, I'd say a good 80% of my bets come from in play markets.

As for withdrawing. I haven't withdrawn any as of yet. Much for the same reasons you suggested. Mainly in the hope it keeps my account open for longer.

In the event of a restricted account, can they refuse you to withdraw your winnings? That would be my biggest worry. All that work for nothing.

Thanks for the links I shall check them out.

Matt Gibbs Matt Gibbs

My experience has baasically came from trial and error, learning what works, what doesn't work, odds etc. Before I developed my strategy, I lost a good couple of a hundred just learning and developing.

Yeah that's pretty much my story, but with horse racing instead lol. I'm still quite new to it tbh, only been doing it a couple of years or so-by laying I mean using the Betfair exchange to lay a selection to lose, rather than back it to win (so you essentially act as a bookmaker, and can set liabilities for that etc) I only know the rough theory of that side of things if I'm honest.

Sounds like you're along the right lines with how you're working-given how much 365 encourage people to 'go in play with Ray' the in play aspect should help you out. What they'd normally do first (the order can vary) would be to take your special offers away, then they'd restrict you to silly amounts like £0.83, then in extreme cases would close the account but in those cases they'll give you your winnings back. If you have any trouble Justice 4 punters can help and I think IBAS might although the former is probably a better option.

Hi Matt Gibbs Matt Gibbs

Why keep 7000 in a Bookmakers account, makes no sense, they are getting interest on your balance. Just leave enough in for your next Bet and then deposit your next stake if that loses
The other aspect to check if you are using multiple accounts is that some of them now implement an inactive account charge.You leave money on deposit with them which as Chesham Chesham notes they are earning interest from but if you do not use it for a while they start taking some because of this. Best read the T&Cs of all ,what fun awaits.!

Hi all. New here looking for a little advice.

To give a bit of background, I have been regularly betting for years at local Ladbrokes branches to make various football matches more interesting, as I'm sure most started out in a similar fashion.

About a year ago I decided to move online and Bet365 shortly became a favourite of mine. However my betting strategy changed. Instead of looking to make a big return from small stake I found myself looking for bankers to which would almost garuntee a return.

Fast forward to today and while my strategy has worked for the most part (I probably get about an 85% success rate, but I'm only betting a percentage of my pot at a time to avoid going broke), my pot has now grown to £7.5k. I started at £50 and as you can imagine this has taken some time.

My question is this. I have read recently about accounts being restricted by various Bookies. I was wondering if anyone has any insight into what usually sets their alarm bells ringing, and what I could do to avoid my account from getting restricted, while simultaneously keeping my pot increase going.

Well if you have built from £50 to a bank of 7.5k you must have a great knowledge so well done, if no BM has done nothing yet i would not worry so keep up the good work. You mention about laying it is just the other way around so a team to lose instead of win, and so are the odds in most cases so 3/1 becomes 1/3, also most would say it is harder because of the 5% commision charge on BF where the best markets are, plus it is not easy to make over the 5% profit on ones bets long term.

So you would need to work out profit margins long term which can take time also if you are use to looking at wins, although i have never studied the football betting markets and ways of betting them so i dont know how the draws score if one places a lay bet.

Good Luck!!

Matt Gibbs Matt Gibbs - Are you betting more than one team ? Split Stakes and do the 5 or 10 betting shops routine (depends on your stake) .To run £50 up to £7500 is fantastic going - BUT a word of warning - i would imagine you have took some hell of a chances staking wise in relation to your bank at the time. If you have , and continue this way then you will go broke - it is extremely hard (nigh on impossible) to sustain an 85% strike rate over a period of time even on football matches. Right now you are sitting on a decent betting bank which could if used correctly be increased and used for a regular income but get yourself genned up on staking in relation to your bank - percentages etc and Chesham Chesham is right - get that money out of there - the interest gained is like you tipping them when you win

Last edited:
Hi Matt Gibbs Matt Gibbs

Why keep 7000 in a Bookmakers account, makes no sense, they are getting interest on your balance. Just leave enough in for your next Bet and then deposit your next stake if that loses

I kind of disagree with this to be honest, UK interest rates are appalling at the moment so it's not as though a savings account would make a lot more. Also if a trader sees repeated withdrawals from a profit-making account then to my mind they're more likely to shut it down which is what Matt Gibbs Matt Gibbs asked originally.

Bookmakers tend to get irritated by repeated transactions as well depending on the method, as I believe in some cases they have to pay the processing fees.

End of the day though I think it's largely a personal choice, as long as the bookmaker meets the higher levels of protection requirements for customer funds.

Only my view but I would only leave a working balance in an active account (say 25 pts ) and would withdraw the rest...it's still your betting bank but your in control of it not the bookmaker,any balance in "dormant" accounts should be withdrawn (they will eventually claw it back).

Chesham Chesham That Bet365 example was a bit of an extreme one really, I'm not suggesting someone should leave 5 figures in a betting account, I was just trying to give some advice that would help with the original poster's question.

Some of them got stung in the distant past when On Line Bookmakers went tits up

as long as the bookmaker meets the higher levels of protection requirements for customer funds

I don't know what you mean about my 'chums' at Flatstats. I know you have a problem with the site and its owner which is between you and him but there's no need to tar everyone associated with the site with the same brush.

Chesham Chesham That Bet365 example was a bit of an extreme one really, I'm not suggesting someone should leave 5 figures in a betting account, I was just trying to give some advice that would help with the original poster's question.

I don't know what you mean about my 'chums' at Flatstats. I know you have a problem with the site and its owner which is between you and him but there's no need to tar everyone associated with the site with the same brush.

I still have chums who are members of Flatstats and have been since it started many years back, so perhaps you have misinterpreted my post, it was not an insult as the FS old timers are sound.

Probably best if I don’t interact with you.

Chesham Chesham fair enough, I may have misinterpreted the tone of your post-I've got no wish to argue with anyone on this forum.

Back