• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

BBC Sports Personality

I wonder if any of the top 3 can be classed as " personalities " outside their own sports at least, looking back at princess anne winning it one year didn't help the show but previous winners like Henry Cooper, Ian Botham or Torville and Dean were imo.

I wonder if any of the top 3 can be classed as " personalities " outside their own sports at least, looking back at princess anne winning it one year didn't help the show but previous winners like Henry Cooper, Ian Botham or Torville and Dean were imo.
I agree and cheers for the Henry mention a proper boxer. :)

Lewis Hamilton has his own clothes brand, is a recording artist not to mention a self taught pianist. The reason todays sports stars are not personalities is because the public & the media crucify them if they stray 1mm from the norm. Ian Botham hit someone in a bar fight & he was a national hero, Ben Stokes defended someone against homophobic abuse, he was kicked off a tour & spent 18 months fighting a court case only redeemed when he played heroically in the world cup & ashes series
Ronnie O'Sullivan has a felon for a father & well documented mental illness problems, same for Tyson Fury so that makes them personalities.
I met Henry Cooper when I was about 7 but it was at a sporting function fronted by Jimmy Saville a national personality

Hi all,
If we are talking about sheer personalities I think this year the presentation should be awarded posthumously to the late great John McCriric.Love him or hate him he was an amazing personality and knocks spots off these boring stuffed shirts that pass as presenters these days.

I was not a fan of Big Mac but i take your point kenny jones kenny jones and he prob did the sport more good than harm. I have not watched any TV racing for the past few years and do not miss it. As you say some of the pundits where doing my head in. :eek:

Lewis Hamilton has his own clothes brand, is a recording artist not to mention a self taught pianist. The reason todays sports stars are not personalities is because the public & the media crucify them if they stray 1mm from the norm. Ian Botham hit someone in a bar fight & he was a national hero, Ben Stokes defended someone against homophobic abuse, he was kicked off a tour & spent 18 months fighting a court case only redeemed when he played heroically in the world cup & ashes series
Ronnie O'Sullivan has a felon for a father & well documented mental illness problems, same for Tyson Fury so that makes them personalities.
I met Henry Cooper when I was about 7 but it was at a sporting function fronted by Jimmy Saville a national personality

Bit of an unfair competition - Mixing a international stars with domestic

Not a fan of any motor sport but I thought Hamilton spoke very well - he has had some bad press possibly self inflicted - but his achievement made him the deserved winner - Holly Doyle did really well when you consider she is a relative newcomer to the stage - For me the who who came out best was Marcus Rashford now there is role model - Lewis Hamilton with his international platform and background would do well to emulate or help in the cause of underprivileged children.

Don't like programs like that but watched the last hour and thought the remembrance section particularly good

I was not a fan of Big Mac but i take your point kenny jones kenny jones and he prob did the sport more good than harm. I have not watched any TV racing for the past few years and do not miss it. As you say some of the pundits where doing my head in. :eek:
I thought the Mac did a lot for racing - not a fan as such - but praise where its due he got the tote sorted

FRANKIE
GEORGIE
HURRICANE
INTERESTING
HIMSELF
Frankie Dettori banned for substance abuse & being italian can't win SPOTY but can win international award
Georgie Best an habitual drunk who wasted his god given talent
Alex"Hurricane" Higgins see above
Don't understand the next 2

Frankie Dettori banned for substance abuse & being italian can't win SPOTY but can win international award
Georgie Best an habitual drunk who wasted his god given talent
Alex"Hurricane" Higgins see above
Don't understand the next 2
Far too negative.

INTERESTING davis
HIMSELF is a reference to himself.

This award means nothing, Princess Anne and Zara Phillips past winners, if the Duke and Duchess of Netflix win a game of tiddlywinks over the Xmas period and are entered in next years SPOTY I would put my money down. Kim Kardashian as about the same chance of winning it as Hollie Doyle. The biggest shock this year is that Joe Wicks didn’t win.

Ps... You will get my vote for poster of the year.
Thanks for your vote T tacker but I’m not sure I should be posting on the forum in my current mood, I can feel my blood boiling inside over the state of this country.
I think getting my sons school report this morning has triggered the moaning, the report made my wife cry with pride over some of the glowing comments from his teachers, and all I can think of is how he is not going to get the future he deserves for his efforts , he doesn’t tick any diversity boxes, he isn’t an inbred, he doesn‘t have friends in Westminster , he doesn’t live in the South East and the whole of the U.K. economy is tanking at an alarming rate with no one in power able to make a sensible decision unless it lines their own pocket. What chance does he have . He won’t ever win SPOTY either.

Last edited:
Any prime minister would struggle at this moment in time O Outlander but this bloke boris simply isn't up to the job and was never going to be, I would have liked to see Jeremy Hunt get the job and treat it with the seriousness needed, he might also have been capable of using the best talents available rather than rewarding sycophants. There are now voices within the tory party asking if it wouldn't be best for him to stand down and allow someone else take over who might be able to better communicate with the public and lead us out of this nightmare.

Back