• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a 20% discount on Inform Racing.
    Simply enter the coupon code ukbettingform when subscribing here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Inform Racing so help is always available if needed.
    Best Wishes
    AR
  • Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

Are you a Lurker?

Cheers T Thomas a good reply with sound reasons which i can relate to.These days i guess that my interpretation is mostly down to price, when i find a horse i wish to back i set a MAP Minimum Acceptable Price, and will only bet if this price or higher is obtainable.

I will give a demonstration of what I consider to be discipline, using the medium of association football.

Yesterday Wolverhampton Wanderers played Leicester City. My analysis could not decide on any specific outcome in the match result, but it did point to the fact Imo, that the goals market was priced up incorrectly, and that the markets had underestimated the chance of goals being scored.

I backed over 1.5 goals which duly came in before half time. The game ended 4-3 and it was almost inevitable that more goals would be scored. I did not go back into the game even though I could see more goals coming, why because it would have been a total lack of discipline and all my pre match analysis would have been wasted if more goals were not forthcoming. However the easy thing would have been to get involved again.

That to me is an example of discipline imvho.

Lol! I have just signed on after my morning exercise and bath and i see all these posts to read, i am going to golf shortly so cant write much yet in reply. But to mick mick yes i gave up on form reading as a total way around end of june because i had a bad lossing run, i was also trying lay bets which were ok mainly in running but would need to be at the courses to really make them work well, but managed to claw back some of my losses at least but i could see future flaws and they could come unstuck long term from home betting that way, i think Chesham Chesham could see that from my thread on the IS.

Then i looked at a systems only as way and worked on that because again i had read about Dave saying that systems need to be constant not inflated by a few big price winner which i believed mine were, both Chesham Chesham and Dave Dave have had years of experience with systems and mine is very little of yet.

Still i have to get ready now, Good Luck!! to you all having a bet today.

Last edited:
Hi OnTheNod OnTheNod.

Have you found that systems are not flexible and as such fail in the long term?

I have a long standing acquaintance who works on around 14 "Micro systems". He actually goes racing most days and has the opportunity to see first hand. He makes them pay quite handsomely year in year out. I don't know what they are but these "Micro systems" seem to work for him.

Also how did you find the "In running" way of buying and selling odds Stressful?. I know from one or two experiences of my own when I first begun trading, I could also see a time when a big hit would come my way and since then (two years ago) I use take sp as a safe stop if I miss my exit point, not ideal I know, but it is a least a last resort safe point for myself and many others I suspect.

Regards
Orion

OnTheNod OnTheNod when your form reading stopped working did you seek to analyze and understand why.?

Hi mick mick back from golf now i do not know if the way i opearated in the past was pure form reading like yourself and Rob use, i think i mentioned before when started i just use to watch them on tv and made a judgement from their, if a horse had run up a few wins, plus i looked for a good jockey etc as well, then i went to just similar conditions repeats like mentioned in hedgehogs thread so in away was a more systematic approach maybe not sure, but never weighted up the opposition much and backed to win of late but use to back them ew to good effects at one time.

So now with my latest systems i do similar to that but factor in trainers records and dams records, i was just using the trainers and value price for june onwards and was up nearly 500 pts then went back to zero, but i used no form at all and nearly knocked Chesham Chesham and dave58 dave58 backwards when i said the system selected 30 each day. So now i use loose form or similar conditions, trainers, dams, and value for the latest ones.

Last edited:
Hi OnTheNod OnTheNod.

Have you found that systems are not flexible and as such fail in the long term?

I have a long standing acquaintance who works on around 14 "Micro systems". He actually goes racing most days and has the opportunity to see first hand. He makes them pay quite handsomely year in year out. I don't know what they are but these "Micro systems" seem to work for him.

Also how did you find the "In running" way of buying and selling odds Stressful?. I know from one or two experiences of my own when I first begun trading, I could also see a time when a big hit would come my way and since then (two years ago) I use take sp as a safe stop if I miss my exit point, not ideal I know, but it is a least a last resort safe point for myself and many others I suspect.

Regards
Orion

Hi! @Orion Well yes so far with hrb i have failed but hope this last try may work for my systems, i dont know what micro systems are btw.

Yes i worked on trainers records with shorter prices on courses and tried getting value in running laying, but was very nerve racking and being behind the time of the race also and i was very lucky a few times as well.

OnTheNod OnTheNod.

Micro systems as has been told to me is a number of little systems that turn over a decent SR and a reasonable profit, but with not that many bets during the year. My acquaintance has a number and add them all up and you have a nice little portfolio.

I do know that two of these micro systems work month by month, whether that is for trainers I have no idea. Perhaps that may be an avenue you could well explore. I am sure that others would give you some guidance. I do wish you good luck though.

In the first race at Wolvs yesterday an apprentice race. I wondered as to why one trainer had two top apprentices booked to ride her mounts, it could have paid dividends. This is one area where good priced winners can be found.

Regards
Orion

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Orion

How would you define a 'top apprentice jockey' ?

Before yesterdays race I am not sure I would have been able to highlight Finley Marsh as a top apprentice?
The following is his record including yesterdays win.

1548014820064.png

Although Miss M Nicholls looks a bit more promising, but she didn't ride the 50/1 winner :confused:

1548014990694.png

ArkRoyal ArkRoyal.

Any apprentice with decent figures at that course compared to others in the race. When I checked this was the case. Best three in the race were the two who rode for the same trainer and Clifford Lee. According to the RP stats.

Hi @Orion

How would you define a 'top apprentice jockey' ?

Before yesterdays race I am not sure I would have been able to highlight Finley Marsh as a top apprentice?
The following is his record including yesterdays win.

View attachment 69103

"Although Miss M Nicholls looks a bit more promising, but she didn't ride the 50/1 winner:confused:"

View attachment 69104

"Although Miss M Nicholls looks a bit more promising, but she didn't ride the 50/1 winner:confused:" Now I am confused. What has Miss M Nicholls to do with that particular winner in the race?

Why are you confused? It only takes a minute to check on the RP site (unless their stats are wrong) to see who the top three apprentices within that race were yesterday.

I just found it strange that the trainer Grace Harris had booked two of the best apprentices at the track for her mounts. Quite simple really.

Don't want to get involved, but use the rp site and hrb has produced more info from an earlier memory I have, is it possible you could both be right?

Well, to give it the big I AM, let me tell all. I had 6 plus winners today , all favourites bar fiddlers bow, won feck all, LOST 20 odd euro and Carols horse, (one of my favourite actors) beat mine which didn't get past the first:bigboss:

ps I have found HRB on the web, I took the 1 month free trial here quite a while ago but don't think I looked at it more than once or twice during that period, nor since, I would rather sign up from here if there is a link?

Last edited:
ArkRoyal ArkRoyal.

HRB is correct in that M.Nicholls was riding for Grace Harris, as was Finlay Marsh!
Jockey stats before yesterdays race at Wolvs.

Finlay Marsh 14.5%
Megan Nicholls 12%
Clifford Lee 11%

These were the highest jockey istats in the whole field.

As I have already stated, I found it strange that the trainer had booked the jockeys with the highest winning stats for both her runners.

The reason I pointed this out was to open up a new avenue for some who may have not been aware that following apprentices at certain courses can pay handsomely.

Back