• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

After timing

dave58

Administrator
There seems to be a bit of a discussion going on recently regarding this topic, and I guess this is aimed at newer members.

I realise that on other forums this isn't much of an issue, however on here it has become something of a convention that it is frowned on in general, basically because (a) it is all too easy to be wise after the event and (b) it doesn't encourage any interaction pre race, which is basically what the forum is about.

For better or for worse, telling everyone after the event that you have had a brilliant day's betting will not endear you to many on here.
Have a look around and you'll find that there are plenty of people who regularly post their selections pre race together with their reasoning, and win or lose they are respected for their honesty and openness in doing so, and also tend to attract positive support and suggestions.

Its been a long time since I could boast of a winner after a race dave58 dave58 , my selections went down a rabbit hole a long time ago & although I'm still running my HRB systems I haven't actually backed anything since before christmas in fact I was taking a bit of a sabbatical, but when I get back on the "horse" here is the place I'll look for help & guidance

Didn't know where else to post this;

I left a back up on BF this morning, at a way over the top price (IMO) not really expecting it to match, and had to go out.

To my surprise, it did match but is now a totally different price. Is it unnaceptable (to members) for me to post this selection on my personal thread (and include it in monthly P&L)? Plenty of time (today) for me to wait for a reply.

If it's for your recording purposes P PHS, I really don't see it being a problem.

Prices quoted are not an issue for me, as they all have to be taken on trust.

I generally try and use the exchange most of the time at sp.

If I post the night before, I do quote a price in case it gets Hugh Talylored.

P PHS I get where your coming from because your above might be seen as price after timing which is not much use to anyone. I would say as a one off do so today if you wish, but perhaps keep this in mind in the future.

Hmm. Only 2 replies! If I was to classify them into Yes or No I'd say it was 1:1, so I won't post.

I left a back up on BF this morning, at a way over the top price (IMO) not really expecting it to match, and had to go out.

To my surprise, it did match but is now a totally different price. Is it unnaceptable (to members) for me to post this selection on my personal thread (and include it in monthly P&L)? Plenty of time (today) for me to wait for a reply.
Good grief P PHS , it's only a forum not a courtroom, all thay matters is it can win for you, best of luck.

P PHS it's entirely up to you. The original post was addressed to people claiming winners after the event, without previously even mentioning them.
Personally speaking I would suggest that for record keeping purposes it might be useful to use prices obtainable by anyone - that way you would avoid any possible confusion when you are looking back over past results?

We all have winners we remember fondly, so I did mention a couple in my introduction and hopefully it isn't seen as being wise after the event. I did also back Freewheelin Dylan for the recent Irish National sticking a fiver on at BSP but it was no form pick, it owed everything to a family connection and other family members got a couple of quid too (first time cheekpieces was my excuse to others in the know).

I could write a book containing thousands of losers and while Cheltenham and to a lesser degree Aintree are notoriously hard for getting profit this year was particularly bad hence my stepping back to try and learn things here instead.

AustinDillon75 AustinDillon75 sharing fond memories of a long past race producing a good earn is fine. It is consistent after timing of recent winners which draws negative responses. We seldom see members after timing a loser which is a shame because the trick is to see what can be learned from this.

If you state that was the price taken in your selection post - then what is the problem - the point about SP is that if you are showing profits at SP then you know your ideas are sound. More often than not most SP prices not reflect the majority of most bets - what I dont like is posts about successful bets on parts of the forum that were not available to be read before the result is know.

Bit late to the discussion -
the main thing is to only claim winners that you've posted on here before the race was run, although if your Aunt Nellie sent you a betting slip for your birthday and you ended up with a fiver on the Derby winner by the time the post arrived I doubt anyone would mind hearing the story at all - tell people you had a race winner without putting the selection on here somewhere beforehand, and doing so more than once in a blue moon, is enough to draw accusations of after timing. We'll all forgive the very occasional slip, if I won the ITV7 one day (only been trying for about 45 years) I wouldn't avoid mentioning it simply because I'd not posted my selections earlier!

The same sort of idea with prices, nobody is going to berate you unless you continually claim to be getting better odds - but there's nothing stopping you saying that you've got money on the exchange at such and such a price, provided it's posted before the off and the price was reasonably achievable. I report my selections results to SP for example, but thanks to the odds boost and so on I frequently get a bit better, so I just say 'won at 2/1 but I got 11/4 at lunchtime' or whatever - the runners I bet on are posted the night before racing and I usually put the bets on around midday to 1pm ish, it's easy enough really to see if my price claims were doable.

I believe that it's actually a straightforward thing on here, if you come across as believable and honest then you are not going to be challenged, you don't have to provide certified accounts to support your posts unless you come out on top rather more often than seems likely!

Dave

Back