• Hi Guest Just in case you were not aware I wanted to highlight that you can now get a free 7 day trial of Horseracebase here.
    We have a lot of members who are existing users of Horseracebase so help is always available if needed, as well as dedicated section of the fourm here.
    Best Wishes
    AR

5 Day Returners

F Frontrunner,

Thank you for your reply about Boardman - Tim Easterby's horse that won three times in this month of May.
I'm still mulling over the "key"to this ability to maintain winning form over short intervals.
That must be what we want in any runner that returns in five days.

You made the point that Easterby had got a bargain from France and obtained a highly-rated animal (90).
Maybe that's what we need in these here 5 day returners? :)

Btw, that rating you mentioned: is it a BHA rating? :idk:
Hi S Sandhog , yes BHA rating, but it wasn’t Easterby who bought him from France, was with a different trainer, Joseph Tuite I think, had a few runs and his mark had dropped to 70s. Easterby then got him for 7,000 guineas last year. I haven’t followed the horse, only looked after you posted about him yesterday, all the information is available on Racing Post.

I don’t think this kind of thing can be implemented in a system though, as you don’t get many horses that improve like this.

F Frontrunner ,
Yes, it looks like a case of "hidden" ability, as used by a few trainers, hiding behind the dropping mark.
I don't suppose this would be any good for this system, as our qualifiers have shown a degree of ability in their last race.

Perhaps there is no missing ingredient that we are searching for, unless it 's the magic carrots that makes the trainer think he'd like another pop at a race while performance is near a "peak".

My own horse ( harness racer) actually started to decline for a few races after a promising start. I declined too, and went in hospital with a spell in intensive care.
While in there ( and out of the way), the thing managed to win twice!:D

I can't really recommend this as a way to get winners, though.

I'm still pondering over how many times a year do horses normally run in thoroughbred flat racing; what is the normal frequency?

In the harness racing, my donkey used to be out almost every week; it was a bother getting to all the venues.
In proper thoroughbred racing, I'd expect AW runners come out more often than higher-class turf animals.

If a horse were to run once a month for a year, that would be twelve runs annually. In practice, several run at least twice a month. My assumption is that any animal that scores about eight wins a year is pretty good in its grade.

With the 5 day thing, are we trying to leap-frog the normal waiting time?
My theory is that percentages can be misleading, and, we might need to take a longer view about it all.
Dunno, just wondering. :)

Back